Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 12 Supplement: Supply Chain Information Systems.
From the end of Chapter 12S, answer Discussion Question 3: SAP is the world leader in enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems software and has developed tailored ERP systems for different industries. Go to SAP’s Portfolio Categories (Links to an external site.) webpage and examine the solutions for (a) a service industry and (b) a manufacturing industry of your choice. How are they similar? How are they different?
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 13: JIT/Lean Production.
From the end of Chapter 13, answer Discussion Question 4: The chapter notes that Kanban is not a planning tool but a control mechanism. What does this mean? How does the Marsica MRP-Kanban example in Example 13.4 in Chapter 13 of the textbook illustrate the point?
Final Journal (Please Go Strong on this Journal)
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read the case study at the end of Chapter 12 and the case study at the end of Chapter 13.
Supplement your answers with scholarly research using the University of Arizona Global Campus Library. Each case study should be addressed in four to five pages, with a total paper length of eight to 10 pages, not counting title page and references.
Chapter 12 Case Study: The Real co Bread master
- Create a master production schedule for the beadmaker in the case that considers production levels, demand for the product, and the best business strategy for the situation presented. Consider the below bullet points.
- What do the projected ending inventory and available-to-promise numbers look like?
- Has Realco “overpromised”?
- In your view, should Realco update either the forecast or the production numbers?
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of Jack’s approach, considering how master scheduling can improve the process, and considering the organizational changes needed to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the process. Consider the below bullet points.
- What are the advantages? The disadvantages?
- How would formal master scheduling improve this process?
- What organizational changes would be required?
- Examine the impact of refusing a customer’s order because of lack of supply of the product versus accepting the order and failing to deliver
- What are the implications for master scheduling?
- Describe the impact on average inventory levels and production if Realco produces 20,000 breadmakers every week rather than 40,000 every other week.
Chapter 13 Case Study: Supply-Chain Challenges in Post-Earthquake Japan
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of the supply chain used in the Japanese auto industry before the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
- Evaluate whether Toyota’s plan for a “foolproof” supply chain is consistent with the Lean production philosophy.
- Offer a recommendation and plan for the supply chain strategy for Toyota.
- Examine the impact Toyota’s plan will have on the way it handles relationship management in its supply chain.
The Final Paper
- Must be 8 to 10 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style(Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.)
- Each case study should be four to five pages in length.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper in bold font
- Space should appear between the title and the rest of the information on the title page.
- Student’s name
- Name of institution (The University of Arizona Global Campus)
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Due date
- Title of paper in bold font
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice(Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions(Links to an external site.) and Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least four scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources(Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source.
- To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view Quick and Easy Library Research(Links to an external site.) tutorial, which introduces the University of Arizona Global Campus Library and the research process, and provides some library search tips.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your Paper(Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.)Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 13 in your textbook. In 200 to 250 words, respond to this prompt from the course text: “Use a product of your choice, and ship it from one country to another in a multimodal shipment. What packaging methods would you use? Why?” (David, 2021, p. 578). In your initial answer, make sure to address the following:
- What product will you ship from the United States to a foreign country as an American exporter located in the United States?
- Which foreign country will you choose for your export shipment?
- Mode of Transportation.What modes of transportation are being used in a multi-modal shipment that you propose from the point of origin to its destination? Name at least two and provide rationale for your selection.
- What packaging method is being used and why?
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 19 in the textbook. Select a U.S. port of entry and investigate the specific security measures taken by that port. For example, the text highlights the Customs Trade Partnership Against Terrorism and Maritime Transportation Security Act. There are other programs and legislation being implemented in American Ports to ensure their security. In 200 to 250 words, discuss the security measures taken by the port you chose. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s webpage Locate a Port of Entry (Links to an external site.) will be useful in locating a port in the United States.
Analyze your peers’ postings, and respond to at least two of your classmates with substantive comments related to implementing security measures in their chosen Port of Entry. Explain how measures described by your peers compare to those you identified in your post? What do these measures have in common, and what is different?