This extra credit assignment (receive up to 7 points) is designed for students to understand the complexity optimate partner violence and the role of gender plays in partner violence.
Students will need to view the following film (click on title): Violence Against Women It’s a Men’s Issue If you are not able to access the film, please use the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTvSfeCRxe8
Students will need to respond the following questions based on the film:
1. According to the film explain why it is problematic to refer to gender violence as a women’s issue.
2. Explain the bystander approach. Discuss the purpose of the bystander approach.
3. Explain the difficulties in changing the ideas about male socialization (think about aspects of socialization, especially gender socialization).
4. Explain why it appears that when men speak out or join the movement against gender violence, they receive a lot of recognition for the work and the awareness they bring to gender violence. However, women have been doing this is work for long periods of time and receive only moderate recognition.
5. Why was it important for Jackson Katz to illustrate the power of language using the following sentence “John beat Mary”, think about how Jackson Katz changes of the sentence.
a. What happens to the focus on John?
b. What does the changing the sentence illustrate?
c. According to the film, explain victim blaming and provide examples of victim blaming.
d. According to the film, explain ways to avoid victim blaming. Criteria for Success:
Students will need to:
• Respond to all questions in complete sentences.
• Number each response (you do not need to re-write the question)