After learning about the Hellenistic Age (Chapter 4 lecture), answer the following question. Follow the directions carefully in order to receive full credit.
Chapter 4 Lecture Question:
What was the Hellenistic Age and how did it come to be?
Directions for Answering the Question:
Using information from the lecture,
- Explain what the Hellenistic Age was by offering a brief definition and the years during which it took place
- Make sure to include both a definition and dates. You can combine this information in one sentence.
- Discuss who first established the Hellenistic Age
- Hint- It was not Philip!!
- Describe at least ONE way he/she spread Greek culture in conquered areas
- Think about what he did that made people “want” to be Greek-like
- Explain how far (geographically) culture in the Hellenistic Age reached
- Hint- it stretched all the way to where the founder of this age and their troops stopped and turned around to go back home.
- Describe at least TWO examples of the mixing of cultures during this time
- Consider ways that Greek rulers also absorbed native practices or new ideas that came about because of the mixing of cultures
- Be specific! Don’t just say they produced new scientific discoveries or philosophes. As always, describe them fully
- Only use information from the lecture to answer the question. These questions are intended to check that you watched and understood the lecture. If you use information from an outside source/s, your assignment will receive a zero.
- Fully explain your statements and include specific examples from the lecture.
- Explain all information in your own words. Do not quote or copy and paste from the lecture or my powerpoint. Doing so will earn your assignment a zero.
- Use good grammar, including complete sentences and correct punctuation. You may use bullet points, but the information you write out beside those bullet points should be complete sentences, not single words or sentence fragments.