4.1 Discussion: Uncertainty Avoidance (Part B)
- Review the internet article “The Role of Cultural Differences in Business Communications.”
- Paying attention to the author’s perspective on the connection between product quality and uncertainty avoidance, review the internet article “On Avoiding Uncertainty.”
- By the end of this workshop, read and critically respond to at least two of your classmates.
- Consider their reflection on the self-assessment results and application of principles related to uncertainty avoidance.
- Offer critical evaluation or add clarity to the posts of your classmates.
- Where applicable, respectfully offer alternate perspectives and provide additional clarifying commentary to add to the discussion.
- Each response should be at least 150 words.
4.2 Discussion: Developing a Cultural Map (Part B)
- Review the video “10 Minutes with Geert Hofstede on Uncertainty Avoidance.”
- Review the video “The right way to ask questions about your colleague’s race.” (https://youtu.be/fZF6LyGne7Q)
- By the end of this workshop, read and critically respond to at least two of your classmates.( https://youtu.be/y5lQdOSBot4)
- Offer a critical evaluation or add clarity to the posts of your classmates.
- Offer alternate perspectives and provide additional clarifying commentary to add to the discussion.
- Each response should be at least 150 words.
Peer Review 1: (Sree Red K)
- List all of the various cultures that you belong to (or that you would say have influenced the way you communicate). There are no right or wrong answers. You can identify any and all cultures (as we have defined that term) that make sense to you.
The various cultures that I belong to are:
- I am an Indian.
- I am a Man.
- My skin tone is Brown.
- I am a Hindu.
- I belong to Masculine gender.
- I am single.
- I am a student.
3.Graphically “map” all of the cultures in terms of their importance in your life now and their relation to each other. You can use any format you wish to map things. You may use different geometric shapes for various culture, different sizes, etc. Again, there are no right or wrong answers. Whatever mapping captures your sense of your cultures is fine.
- Draw points of tension between your cultures. Which cultures tend to have norms for behavior that differ? That conflict? Which cultures are most in tension in this way? Draw arrows or other indicators to show that.
4.Which of these cultural tensions are most likely to cause you internal conflict?
I don’t have much of cultural tensions in my life, because I used to adapt to the situation where I live. After I came to US, I used to look around people who follow Christianity, they are so loving and show kindness towards others, which fascinated me a lot. The teachings of Jesus Christ were something extraordinary from the other teachings which I have heard already in my religion. So, I just have a passion for Christianity and the teachings of Christ.
Peer Review 2: (Sid Gang)
Developing a Cultural Map
(d)Between the Christian and athletic cultures, there is much internal tension. There is a widespread belief that drug and alcohol use is acceptable in the sports community. It was not easy to be the person who refused to participate more actively because of my Christian beliefs while growing up in this society. I had difficulty connecting with my friends since so many of them decided to lead this lifestyle, which I appreciated and made me feel alone (Chu, 2020).
(e) Conflict might arise between my Asian and American backgrounds. Some White Americans harbor animosity against Asians, a phenomenon that is becoming less widespread. In elementary and high school, I watched this play out firsthand. In order to make light of the Asian culture, some people would make nasty and derogatory remarks. However, I do not think that should be allowed to go unchecked (Rozin et al., 2016).
4.3 Discussion: Masculinity vs. Femininity Societies (Part A)
- Watch the video “10 Minutes with Geert Hofstede on Masculinity versus Femininity.”( https://youtu.be/Pyr-XKQG2CM)
- Examine the PowerPoint on Masculinity vs. Femininity.
- Read the article “‘Christian Worldview’ Drives Hungary’s Stunningly Successful Pro-Family Policies: Minister for Family.”
- Navigate to the discussion below and post a substantive response to the following questions:
- Complete the following chart based on your personal views of masculine and feminine roles. Identify each trait listed as either masculine or feminine, using your personal perspective. Copy and paste the completed chart into your initial discussion post.
|Build relationships based on trust|
|Coach and mentor others|
|High level of confidence|
- Group together the traits you have identified as masculine and write a paragraph explaining your perspective. Write a second paragraph discussing your perspective on those traits you have identified as feminine.
- From your reading of the article “‘Christian Worldview’ Drives Hungary’s Stunningly Successful Pro-Family Policies: Minister for Family,” consider the social ramifications of espousing a Christian worldview in Hungary. What spillover effects might be anticipated when the Christian worldview described in the article and global business intersect?
- Your initial response should:
- Be 200–300 words in length
- Include a minimum of two properly cited references. For questions on APA style, go to the APA Style Guide.
4.4 Discussion: Assess Your Cultural Profile (Part A)
- Watch the video “The Culture Map” by Erin Meyer.
- Read the article “Assess Your Cultural Profile” by David Champion.
- Use the assessment tool at “Cultural Competence Self-assessment Checklist” and take the questionnaire.
- Navigate to the discussion below and post a substantive response to the following questions a–c:
- Discuss your assessment and reflect on how the assessment might shape you as a global manager. Use PowerPoint to create a short presentation (five slides) and include images of your assessment using Snipping Tool to take snippets of your assessment to share with your peers. For information on Snipping Tool, watch the following video. (https://youtu.be/VLZGkN5nYtM)
- What areas would you improve or strengthen?
- Reflect on Proverbs 3:5-6and discuss whether your trust in God is more ask-based trust (from the head) or relationship-based trust (from the heart)?
4.5 Assignment: ArcelorMittal Acquisition
- Read the article Arcelor agrees to Mittal Takeover.
- Read the article ArcelorMittal and Nippon Steel complete acquisition of Essar Steel.
- Peruse ArcelorMittal’s corporate website for additional information.
- Peruse Hofstede’s Insights for additional information.
- Write a 5-6 page paper following APA Style. For questions on APA Style, go to the APA Style Guide.
- In your paper, address the following questions:
- Compare Hofstede’s cultural dimensions for the countries of Luxembourg, India, and Japan.
- Discuss Arcelor’s motivation to be acquired by Mittal and Mittal’s motivation to merge with Arcelor.
- Discuss the two major challenges that threatened the Arcelor/Mittal merger. Which of Hofstede’s cultural dimensions might be at the core of these challenges?
- Discuss at least two reasons why ArcelorMittal acquired Essar Steel.
- Discuss the rationale for ArcelorMittal’s joint venture with Nippon Steel.
- If you were a manager at ArcelorMittal, what cultural challenges might emerge in your attempts to integrate a Christian worldview in the workplace?
- Include an introduction paragraph, a conclusion paragraph, APA level one headings, and a minimum of five (5) properly cited sources in your paper.